Update Stephen Jackson – Squamous Cell Carcinoma – 5-7

“These colors are simply amazing! It looked as though I was watching a sunset with all the pretty colors, clouds, and sky, and as the sun was setting, the colors became more subtle and brilliant in their own way. While watching this, I did notice something else, too. It was the fact that as the sun was setting, it became harder and harder for me to breathe. At first, I didn’t pay much attention to my breathing because my focus was on the beauty that was unfolding in front of me. Then it became apparent, that as the sun and the colors started to diminish, so was my ability to breathe. I woke up!”

(Hi everyone, thank you for all the prayers. God is great, isn’t he? I am still here and able to share a life changing experience, without too much collateral damage. It’s good to be home..!)

This was a dream I had almost a week before the morning of April 29th. The morning started out like any normal morning. We were getting ready to leave and get my last radiation treatment for the week. We, my wife Deanne and I, eat breakfast as normal. I did notice a little tightness in the neck area, but nothing of a major concern. I had peaches and my wife had her normal rice cereal. After that, it was time to go.

Upon checking in for radiation, I was called in almost immediately. Eric, my radiation tech, had me lay down on the table while securing the radiation mask. Before radiation starts, they always perform a CT Scan to check the differences of the previous day’s work. I felt as though I had been laying on that table for over an hour before Eric came back in and told me that the Dr. on call, needed to talk to me before the session started.

Wow, this was completely new. Every time I came in before, the whole session lasted, maybe, 15 minutes max. It was already running on 25 minutes and nothing has been done to this point.

Eric had already begun removing my mask, so my thoughts were racing. Something is wrong with the equipment, maybe the doctor is going to give me a break, or maybe the treatment is not being effective. I don’t know, but all of a sudden I had Nurses in the radiation room, along with a few doctors.

My regular doctor was off that day, so I know I wouldn’t talk to him. But when the mask came off, another doctor came in and grabbed my arm, and began leading me to the imaging room. As I was being led, people were talking about air passages, swelling, and skin color. I finally got to the imaging room and the on call doctor asked me if I had any difficulty breathing. My reply was that it wasn’t any different than anytime right after radiation treatment. She asked me who my ENT was, I told here, and she proceeded to inform me that after examining the CT scan, my air passage was less than a ½ centimeter in size. To give some scope, normal adult air passage is 4/5 centimeters.

She explained that she was bewildered how I was even standing and talking to her at that moment. I found out later, I could have easily passed in my sleep the night before.

My ENT could not be contacted, so I was rushed to the emergency room, where I was taken in, in less than a minute. Once admitted, I was approached by an ENT, Dr. Slough (love this guy), He explained the situation in a way I could understand it right at the moment, and that he had already assembled a complete team of doctors for the needed surgeries. My initial radiation appointment was at 11:30am, and by 4pm, on April 29th, 2016, I was admitted into surgery for a Tracheotomy and Feeding Tube.

I will post the details of the stay in another update, but I really just wanted to let you all know that I have been blown away by the response to the prayer requests for me, (Thank you to Cassie and Bryan Worden).

I sometimes ask God if I have ever done anything right through this whole process. You know, second guessing myself. This really comes from all the people who thought I was crazy in the beginning, and felt I should have started with Chemo and radiation to begin with. Or, my GoFundMe page; some people have even emailed me directly and told me that people don’t care about those trying to cure cancer naturally, that’s why not too many people will donate.

Don’t get me wrong, I really couldn’t have done it without the people who have made my fight, their own fight. But there were many more people who sent negative responses than good ones, and that’s just the way the dominoes fall.

So, I try to keep my head up and do what I feel is right, for me.

Well, I want everyone to know that my life is in God’s hands, not mine. I believe in something greater than myself, so just because my donations aren’t equal to that of other cancer funding pages, that is not my business. And after the prayer response, a 5 day visit to the hospital with full recovery (which was suppose to take 2 weeks), I am still here.

I am here because of you, I am her because through you God’s work is getting done.

I thank each and every one of you for being right there by my side, every moment until I could breathe, talk, walk, and come home to my family.

I promise, I will never doubt my decisions, because I feel when doing something in hopes it will help someone else who might be struggling, it’s something that will get done when consulting the man on high. This comes from something bigger than all of us. I am just living to give testimony that his work, through you and me, is more powerful than anything you could ever imagine.

God bless you all, and stay tuned to the miracle unfolding in front of us.